Friday, January 30, 2015

#EffYourBeautyStandards is Booming on Social Media

Plus-size model Tess Munster has created quite the social media movement with the hashtag #EffYourBeautyStandards. People everywhere are expressing themselves and showing  a lot of self-love with it. Munster, at 5-foot-5 and a size 22, is the first model of her size to be signed to an agency.

In the United States, the average size for a plus-size model is between 6 and 16, and a height of 5-foot-8.

Now I'm sure there are haters out there bashing this movement or bashing overweight or plus-sized models, or people in general, but Tess Munster follows a fitness and nutrition program. She works out with a personal trainer 4 times per week, and avoids soda and other sugary drinks.

#EffYourBeautyStandards is not a celebration of fat people as some may suggest, it is a celebration of ALL body types. And it's not just aimed at women, but men too, who may all too often feel the pressure of unrealistic beauty expectations. Celebrate your differences and what makes you unique.

#EffYourBeautyStandards and do what you want, dress in a way that makes you feel good about yourself. Style your hair or makeup (or don't wear any) how you like. You should feel comfortable and confident in your look. So what if it isn't following the current trend, or what is 'expected' of you. There is nothing more powerful than confidence.


While blogging for The Huffington Post, Tess wrote:

“Even as a model, I still have a belly, cellulite, stretch marks, and thanks to nursing a son – not the perkiest boobs. However that doesn’t devalue me at all. I think if anything, it makes my body more interesting.
“Like my tattoos, they tell a story and I can tell you where I was or how I was feeling at that moment, similar to when I look at my body.
“’This scar is from when I had a C-section.’ These scars are from crashing my bike on the gravel after not wearing a helmet even after my mother warned me multiple times.’
“’My stretch marks are from puberty and many years after’, etc.
“Our bodies tell a story and everyone’s journey is different, everybody is different, unique, exquisite. The only problem is that not everyone respects that or comprehends that we don't have to all look like a cookie cutter or perfect picture of "health." We have so many forces around us that try and influence us otherwise. Why be our own worst enemy? Even if you don't have a partner to dress up (or take it off) for, do it for yourself. Our relationships with ourselves and our bodies are the most important ones we will ever have.”

Everyone is their own person, and every body is different, take care of yourself, and be happy.

BE YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment