Friday, February 13, 2015

No Knees About It!

I have bad knees.

As do many people.

But you don't have to sacrifice being healthy because of it.

Women, are already prone to knee problems––thanks to our widening hips, and athletic women especially––thanks to the tightening of our IT bands (Iliotibial band).

 

In 2009 I was a passenger in a car accident. Both my knees got crushed, causing my kneecaps to be pushed out of place and tears in my meniscus's and other cartilage damage. I got out of the car and collapsed on the street. I couldn't stand up. I was in numbing pain.

I was in pain every single day. I tried every treatment possible, until surgery was the final option. It was a last resort, and as much as it sucked, it definitely helped. I still have pain, mostly due to the fact that my kneecaps still don't align completely, and there's no cartilage in my knees, so they grind, bone on bone.

I did physical therapy for quite a long time, as do many people with knee or other physical ailments. I take a lot of the stretches and exercises they showed me and incorporate them into my workouts. Even if it hurts, I work through the pain. Unfortunately, as multiple doctors have told me, the best way to relieve joint pain is to strengthen the surrounding muscles to take the pressure off. So while it hurts to do the exercises, you have to do them.

So don't use "I have bad knees" as an excuse to skip leg day. Leg day could be your most important! Just modify exercises, use little to no weight when performing them, and when in doubt ask a physical therapist or personal trainer how you can perform them without adding to your injury! Anything to work your quads, hammys, hips, or glutes, is going to help you.


I also take a Glucosamine supplement every day to help lubricate the joints. It definitely helps and is cheaper and easier than getting injections every few weeks.

I recommend Wellesse Joint Movement Liquid Glucosamine. I've tried other brands and pill forms too, but this gives me the best results. I definitely do notice a difference when I take it consecutively and when I miss a day. It also doesn't taste terrible like a lot of liquid supplements, and is made up of natural ingredients. Definitely add this to your vitamin regime if you have any joint pain/concerns. (You can pick it up in stores, like Walmart, or online)

No comments:

Post a Comment